Garden in a Bag
You can feel good that you grew it yourself. Dave the Garden Guy shared how to make this organic, intensive, raised vegetable bed.
- Exacto knife or gardening scissors
- A piece of rebar or a sturdy dowel
- 1 or 2 bags of organic compost -- we used two.
- Extreme juice or other organic fertilizer -- stimulates microbiotic activity.
- Plants -- we used zucchini, crook neck squash and bell pepper plants
Someplace that will allow for drainage
- Take first bag of compost, place it on the ground where you want it and cut out bag leaving 3 inches around the edge to contain the soil.
- Place second bag on top and repeat cut.
- Use your rebar to poke drainage holes in your new raised garden bed.
- Add fertilizer per instructions on can.
- Plant your vegetables. Eventually the plants will spill over and the bags will no longer show.
Keep sustainable levels of moisture. In the Southwest this probably means watering once a day; in the Mid or Northwest it will mean watering every two to three days.